TO EAT OR NOT TO EAT……. THAT IS THE QUESTION!
Many times, singers have no idea that they should stay away from certain foods before a performance, or that there are foods that will enhance the vibration and flexibility of the vocal folds. Here is a list of foods that will have a positive or negative affect on your performance.
Great Foods Before Performances:
- Water – Hydration is the #1 key to optimal vocal heath! Please make sure that you are adequately hydrated before a performance!
- Light Proteins – Fish, avocado, and raw nuts are great before a performance. They don’t stick to or irritate the vocal folds, and give energy as long as they are eaten in enough time for the body to process them before a performance.
- Veggies – These foods are light and great for overall health. They won’t make you feel weighed down or heavy right before you perform.
- Foods High in Magnesium – Bananas, apricots, red meats, tuna, and green veggies are high in magnesium. Magnesium is a natural beta-blocker that helps with sweating, clammy hands, and trembling due to anxiety. Also, these foods are high in tryptophan that is a natural stress reducer.
- Foods To Avoid Before Performances:
- Dairy Products – Stay away from dairy products! These products cause an overproduction of mucus in the body, which is a nightmare for a singer!
- Caffeine – Coffee, black teas, and soda’s all dry the vocal folds! They will make the throat feel dry and will take away from optimal vibration of the folds!
- Spicy Foods – Anything spicy will irritate the vocal folds.
- Citrus Fruits – Lemons, limes, oranges, and any other citrus fruit will dry the vocal folds.
- Anything Ice Cold – This will cause your vocal folds to become stiff and to constrict! They will not vibrate properly, which will cause you to strain and will affect overall sound.
- Do not overeat before performances! This will interfere with the diaphragm muscle, and will make it more difficult to breathe! However, make sure to eat a healthy and balanced meal to have enough energy during your performance!!